Back to School Series #1 - Introduction

Introduction

The other day, I was pondering on what to write about.

A post that could help others, with something they may be struggling with in life. So, why not write about my online college experience? This topic was always exciting for me. Why? Well, I loved the journey and loved sharing my experiences with those that considered taking this path. Even going through some of the rough times, it made me appreciate learning on a whole new level. 

Before starting this series, let me tell you a little story about how this all came about...


My Story
Every September, there was a beautiful sight. Multicolored leaves falling from the trees. A change of the seasons. It's a month when kids and adults return to school in New York. People are rushing to shop for backpacks, school supplies, even shopping for college dorm supplies…everyone is getting their fresh supplies…but not me. I felt stuck and hopeless. Here I was, living in Flushing, Queens, New York. At some point, I realized I needed to make a change and at least get my GED. I studied hard for this test and passed. It was a grueling 4-hour test but well worth it. I immediately went to a community college to study to become a physical therapist aide until I became pregnant with my oldest son.

I did not know where to start. See, I never had access to anyone that could help guide me through the schooling process after getting my GED. I did not even know what kind of questions to ask. So, I was right back where I started. Feeling stuck. But I had something in my heart. It was determination. The desire to finish college. Eventually, I registered for my associates degree online. It was amazing. I felt like I had surpassed the hurdle of just getting in the university and was one step closer to my goal.

It then spiraled into getting my bachelors in Elementary Education / Special Education (dual major) and a week after graduation, the week of Christmas, going for my Masters in Elementary Literacy.

I did this while working and pregnant with kids.

I graduated with a 4.0 and joined a special club, Alpha Chi National College Honor Society, which is offered to only 10% of the top graduates.

I mention this because I know that you can do it. Your reading this because you want to change. You want more opportunities. You want to complete a goal in your life. Because you have a passion for it in your heart just as I did.

This “Back to School Series” is for you. It is for the parent that desires to get that degree. It is for single parents that want to go back but don’t know how. Its for that student that goes and stops continuously because they are not sure what to major in school. It is for anyone that has an alternative high school diploma(GED) but does not have that confidence. It is for anyone that wants to go back and just learn how to balance life, work and family.

Why am I writing this? Because I want you to achieve your goal. I understand the challenges that come in life without having that dream come true. I am familiar with the feeling of fear of failure, experiencing disappointment, lack of confidence and even a different way of thinking. I know the feeling of dread when September rolled around or when May would come and I would see or hear about someone graduating. Well, picture yourself not just being a student, but being a graduate. This series is simply here to serve as a guide to help you to navigate through this process successfully. Enjoy the ride!


Melody--

Comments

  1. So proud of you, Melody! And thank you for writing this series! It's very helpful and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! Let me know if there are any topics that you would like to hear about and I'll post it on the blog. I update it once a week.

      Delete
    2. Wow this post was super inspiring. You got me wanting to enroll in grad school right now lol !! Thank you for sharing your testimony, I know it is going to be a blessing to others!

      Erin

      Delete
    3. Thank you Erin! I posted this because I wanted people to feel inspired to begin somewhere with beginning college. I am glad that I did my job in inspiring you! Be sure to follow me in the Google community! If you also know if any adults that are on this path, send them to my website. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free Apps to save YOU Money!

Back to School Series #2 - Finding the Right School for You